Saturday, June 28, 2008

National Summit on Entrepreneurship Speaker



EMPOWERING America's Communities (AEO)


2008 National Summit on Entrepreneurship


Co-Hosted by CAMEO



I had the pleasure of joining this awesome organization and welcoming members as a speaker this past May in Anaheim, CA for AEO (Association for Enterprise Opportunity) . The topic was Building Successful Communities with Small Business.





Pictured from left to right are Michael Shuman, an attorney and economist who is known for focusing on small business. He brought up key issues...why does the government spend an exuberant amount of money to keep business here and not support small business. Next to him was Bob Trask. Bob is an author, actor and comedian. He is the founder of ARAS Foundation, http://www.arasfoundation.org/ . Then of course me, and my good friend Joel Ayala, CEO/Presidents of the California Hispanic Chambers of Commerce.


Here I am, sharing my experience as an entrepreneur. Heaven Sent Jewelry was founded in Dec 2003. When I started my journey, I had no retail experience, no business plan but I had GANAS (desire) to make it happen. Through the journey which has been a roll coaster ride, there have been many blessings through the last 4 years.

My philosophy is win-win; when you form partnerships and help one another, the results are awesome. Although I have a masters degree, I needed to educate myself in order to build my business foundation. I took advantage of the services provided by SBA, such as SBDC, SCORE, and joined various business organizations such as the NLBWA (National Latina Business Women's Association, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Las Comadres, ect . Networking with organizations was instrumental and using technology was essential.


Who would have thought that many doors would have opened for me. From serving on national focus groups with large corporations, being on a committee with my local Assembly person, being featured through the media, speaking international/nationally, to now doing consulting work and a future author!...


At times, I feel as though it's surreal. Faith, prayer and support from my loving husband and family has made it possible. I do have big dreams that I'm looking forward to fulfilling with in the next few years.





Here is the lovely and talented Claudia Viek, CEO of CAMEO (California Association for Micro Enterprise Opportunity - http://www.microbiz.org/ during the 2008 Microentrepreneur Marketplace. Although I just meet Claudia, I was so impressed with her dedication, mission and passion for assisting entrepreneurs.

What was really cool is that AEO gave some coupons to some attendees, whom then cashed in their coupons with purchases with entrepreneurs during the market place event. I had so many attendees stop by my both with many well wishes. What a great idea to stimulate sales!...
>
CAMEO is the largest State Microenterprise Association in the U.S. The conference had Viva! Las Micro Empresas project with various workshops on how to reach and serve Latino business owners. Latino businesses are starting at three times the rate of all business start-ups nationally, and in California, there is an estimate that there will be almost 700,00 Latino entrepreneurs!

I really found this organization remarkable. One of the key speakers was Michelle Long, Executive Director of Sustainable Connections, a membership organization of 600+ NW Washington local, independent business working to transform and model an economy built on sustainable practises. Programs include a wildly successful Think Local First campaign that has altered the purchasing behaviors of 3 in 5 local households, Food Farming, Green Building, Energy, and Sustainable Business Development.

With small business being the heart of our economy, it's makes sense for everyone to support small business owners especially during these economic times. The more we buy from small business, small business will continue to grow and have a positive impact in our community. I'm doing my part supporting other business are you

While we're on the subject, don't forget to check out my website for some unique gifts at http://www.heavensentjewelry.com/ .


"Stay tuned as Addy's drives away in the Addy mobile with sparkle and bling. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home